Monday, January 10, 2011

Kyoto, kyoto, kyoto, go! go!

How does one survive a family trip unscathed? The current status of my family is:

Father = mediator

Mother = angry at everyone

Sister = angry at me and brother (however has presented a united front with a hated enemy against myself)

Brother = angry at everyone on some level

Moi = angry at everyone minus father.

Today I cycled to the Imperial Palace, dodged geishas whilst it started to snow, froze to death... all in day in Kyoto.

The perfect situation to which a family can fight about is, of course, directions. Everyone is stubborn and thinks their pathway is the right one, which obviously results in a "I told you so" moment, which feels so very good for the person who says it. This is pretty embarrassing but my sister accidentally hit my eye this afternoon and I started crying in the middle on the street... the pain sort of subsided which left a hot rage inside of me. So my sister starts walking away from me for being stroppy with her post-punch, I call out something along the line of "OI FUCK HEAD, I DON'T HAVE ANY MONEY". Oh how great it is to fight in english amongst Japanese people... Then from then it's a bit of swearing and then both of us stomping back to the hotel.

Shit things about fighting on a family holiday:

- Sharing a room with the person you are fighting with.
- Fighting in Japan as there is a lack of space.
- Fighting in a room where all the doors are un-slammable.
- Cold weather which makes it harder to go have a 'run away from home' attempt.

1 comment:

  1. sounds like a familiar situation to me...

    ReplyDelete