Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Dearest Grace Holland

Now, all of sudden you’ve gone what am I meant to do without you? You say you’ve not stayed long enough to make your mark but here are some facts I gathered.64 years ago tomorrow the atomic bombings of Hiroshima took place. Did you know the atomic bomb only took 57 seconds to hit yet by 1950 it had killed 200 000 people? So President Truman (that’s you) drops this big arse bomb (leaving school x) and all these Japanese people (us girls of school x) are left burning (heartbreak) and dying of cancer years after the bomb has dropped (grief). My point is that impact is not so black and white, not so much based on time. Quality my friend, not quantity. Oh Truman, how you hurt us. I know you’re going to be happy back in your mother land (school y) and all your fellow citizens (school y friends) will be happy for the atomic bomb you have left. It took six days for Japan to surrender to the Allied forces. So I will forgive you in six days for breaking my heart.

Next Monday, you won’t be at school, not because it’s the day Grace doesn’t go to school but because Grace has left for good. You are my given circumstance, my objective, my super-objective, my action, my popular culture, the tip of my tongue, my left hand side ;)


Were you there when they crucified my Grace?
Oh sometimes it causes me to tremble, tremble, tremble.


Love Alfalfa.

2 comments: